Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Continue 2499! 07.09.03 (Read 3589 times)
UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Continue 2499! 07.09.03
Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:17pm

The Stop2499 Coalition is against the extension beyond Highland Shores Blvd. First they believe that handing out fliers will get people interested. Well, it did the exact opposite of what you had hoped for to me. Perhaps you should have left Flower Mound residents alone now that I discovered this is all about the convince of Highland Village and Lantana residents. Also believing that driving around in a huge SUV trailering a giant billboard with "STOP2499.com" on it will help.

Ok, so we know who you are, good. Your vehicle of choice however angers me. SUVs have basically earned the stereotype of bully of the road, and having an additional SUV drive on that road bugs me. I feel that there are fewer and fewer cars out there as months go by. Another annoyance, dragging a trailer. Your flier states that this will "bring 3000 tractor-trailer trucks" Well how about an all-terrain assault vehicle trailering a gigantic soliciting billboard. Is that wanted traffic? Wanna know what those annoying "tractor trailer trucks" will use the road for? To build new houses! After all they drove on it building yours. I don't understand why its so "trendy" to live here, but apparently it is.

Why is it that whenever I hear the phrase "smart growth" it always means none at all? You're right, Super Target didn't need the fix. But how much traffic did it bring in? You see Highland Village should learn from Flower Mound's mistakes. Imagine what life would have been like if they just put off the construction of 407. What if today it was still a 2 laned asphalt road all the way to Lewisville? Imagine traffic then. It probably would resemble traffic of our 3040. If you stop the growth of roads you much also stop the growth of all zoned development. Otherwise your traffic will be just like Flower Mound's

I tried to get out of the Flower Mounds library the other day and you wouldn't believe how long I had to wait to make a left turn. I have never had such a problem. Typically I'm the only one I see on that street. Wanna know why there were so many people? They were all 2499 travelers wanting to go west on 1171 and this was their best shortcut, driving behind Kroger. It wouldn't have been if every single resident of Highland Village/Lantana didn't use 2499. 2499 IS your main street.

It will bring people from Denton and even Oklahoma to take this route to DFW.

I just so happen to live off of 2499. And oh boo hoo, more traffic. It is already impossible for me to make a left turn onto that road. And you wanna know why? Because of the newly developed housing from Highland Village and Lantana. So lets see... These people are upset because what they did to me may actually happen to them? Maybe growing pains will make you more considerate of others and not speed up when you see me wanting to turn.

Construction of this means a 4 (room for 6) lane street. That means all those punks at the 1171/2499 intersection (Highland Village residents) no longer have to run passed the "turn only lane" riding along the shoulder for a mile till they force everyone else to stop in order to let them in, can now legally stay in that lane, making that intersection more enjoyable. Plus they lowered the speed limit on 2499, Remember when it usta be 60? Now I can hardly even do the new limit. Having multiple lanes will make passing easier. Which also means that those psychos who like to pass people already speeding by using the shoulder can now legally pass them using their own lane. (this is what caused that tree shrine near Chevron by the way)

Also making a left turn may actually be easier because there will be more lanes to choose from. I don't have to worry about pulling infront of someone in hopes that they brake in time because the lane next to him may be open, and I can pull into that one instead.

It will cost over $6 million per mile

The town spent $7.37 million on baseball and soccer fields next to a sewage plant. Which is better? Seeing Junior run all over the field while your family and opposing teams inhale the lovely odor, or a road that brought you there?

It will cause backups along traffic lights

Already a problem caused by, once again, the residents of Highland Village and Lantana. If anything you should be in favor. The problem with the lights is that they are not timed right. So I have to wait because some out-of-towner forgot the speed limit was 45.

Forcing people to stop at every light makes people not want to use the road, which means if there s an alternate route, your so called future traffic will use that. I already use Lakeside Dr and Dixon because even though they are extremely out of the way, and have a lower speed limit, they are still faster than the obvious shorter distance.

It will not bring people from Denton to shop

So how come every time I am at Super Target I overhear someone ask "When did this place open?" or "Is this new?" Yes, its so new they opened it 5 months ago. You can tell that wasn't on their daily commute.

It will not develop our communities more than their capability.

If you claim Highland Village is near complete then how did Lantana form? Ok so its not technically "ON 2499" But I tell ya that place wasn't there 2 years ago. And Wellington thinks its the Highland Shores of Flower Mound every year it seems some ranch went under and 5,000 more houses went up. And don't forget that Double Oak, Copper Canyon, and others still can grow. As for Flower Mound, there's still tons of room clear out to I-35W.

It will bring new commercial development, and not high quality commercial.

I remember when they paved that asphalt part of 2499. If it weren't for past development of that road, I wouldn't have a job. What kind of "not high quality" commercial are you thinking of? You think they are gonna put a Walmart or even Kmart up next door? They are thinking about putting up a Chilis off of 2499/407. Wont that be nice? The other Flower Mound location is always crowded and traveling to Loserville to eat is just plain lame.

In fact developing that past part of 2499 has done what? brought commerce, eased highschoolers, eased residents (remember, they had a windy gravel/dirt road to work with) It even help aided in developing Highland Village and Lantana. Imagine their fun commute if that one section of road wasn't there.

IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Continue 2499! 07.09.03
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:18pm

Continued...

Realizing how important that one part is, what about future part, they could benifit us even more.

It will hurt the environment

When a developer builds in Flower Mound they are typically forced to replant trees. Not because it makes the lot look pretty, but because the town makes them. So what makes this road different?

"Damage the delicate ecosystem of Lake Lewisville..."

I'm surprised that lake hasn't caught fire yet. The very coyotees and bobcats that would eat your cat and your dog need your help? Within the past ten years, developers have ruins tons of forests. Just drive further west on 407. This area usta all look like that, they bulldozed it down to build your house. So, do you want a road, or would you like some animal rights activists to burn down your house so some kitten-eating coyote can move back in?

And I love this group's alternative solutions for budget planning... Fixing 2499 from 1171 to 407. Which I always have been for, but this very road will be messed when and if the continuation of 2499 begins. Also 407 from Briarhill Blvd to Lantana. Even though I am also infavor of this (it has gotten so bad that taking this route to Denton is actually quicker) I find it very odd that this benifits mostly who? the people of Highland Village and Lantana! The very people who GAVE us this traffic problem in the first place!

If this is a fight over TXDots money, then turning 1171 from 2499 to 35W into a 4 lane concrete street is by far more worthy. ~ N

IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Continue 2499! 07.09.03
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 11:21pm

Stop2499 ended up taking the issue to court. The judge threw out the case. The plans for the expansion has been in existence since the 70s, long before any of them ever moved there. This was why their land was so cheap. Stop2499.com is no longer a functional site

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print