Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old new Fernando's (Agave) (CLOSED) (Read 7632 times)
Richter
Administrator

I put the sting in interesting.

Flower Mound, Texas
Old new Fernando's (Agave) (CLOSED)
Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:40pm

If you were a fan of the Fernando's Mexican restaurant on 2499 near the Target Shopping Center, and were sorry to see it close down, you're in luck!  
The new restaurant that took its place didn't seem to change much other than the name (forgettable) and the wall art.  The food is still mediocre (although with a bit less cilantro) and the prices are still as high as they used to be.  

So if you're stuck walking, hooked on the latest fads so you can say you've eaten there, too, or otherwise can't make it to a DECENT mexican restaurant, there's still one available nearby.  A few margaritas may even make the quality go up a bit.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010 at 3:20am by UmmYeahOk »  

The Administrator
IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Old new Fernando's
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 4:09pm

The restaurant being reviewed is now called Agave Tex Mex Grill. Cowboy fans will enjoy the restaurant as the restaurant co-owners are
defensive tackle and two-time Super Bowl champion Tony Casillas and his wife Tamara, Flower Mound residents.

I loved their tortilla soup and the salsas pretty good too. (if you like cilantro  Smiley ) Did not find this out until later but restaurateur Lisa Galvan's recipe for tortilla soup was voted the "Best in the Metroplex" by D Magazine and her salsa was rated in the Texas Tornadoes Salsa Shootout as the "Best Mild Salsa in the Metroplex."

Though I enjoyed my meal, my husband did not, and the queso seemed to taste more like gravy than cheese (which is very similar to the queso at La Sierra) Probably the only thing I had an issue with was the price. $7 for a bowl of soup is a bit steep considering that its $3-5 at most Tex Mex restaurants. And BTW, that was the cheapest item on the menu.

The Club 75 cocktail lounge, named for Casilla’s Dallas Cowboys jersey number, will feature DJ E (Edward Byrne) on Friday nights from 9 p.m. until midnight, and 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturdays.

Agave Grill is located at 5801 Long Prairie Road (FM 2499 & Dixon) in Flower Mound. Call 972-355-0044 for details.

IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Old new Fernando's (Agave)
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010 at 3:12pm

Apparently this closed too. I don't know if the road construction hurt business or not, but I personally liked the food. Despite the parking lot always being full, the place was always empty. They offered live music and coupons just like Pollo y Salsa but both restaurants suffered the same fate.

With a completely different unrelated Agave opening up in the former Pollos spot I wonder if my husbands jokes were right. He joked that if you want to make money in this town you should open up a Mexican restaraunt. After a few months, close it, then reopen it with a new name. You betcha people will come. Anytime a new restaurant opens up it's always packed for the first month.

I also believe the former Agave-Fernados location is cursed. Before the completion it was hard to get to, and now there's a new giant building blocking the view of businesses behind. A new restaurant could open and no one would know

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print