Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Morriss/Gerault into 6 lanes? (Read 6243 times)
UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Morriss/Gerault into 6 lanes?
Mar 11th, 2009 at 3:12pm

First of all, I would like to state that I do not live in a neighborhood on this road. I do however work at a business that does, and live not far from Morriss. During one of my commutes back home I saw a banner advertising a blog, STOPMORRISS6.BLOGSPOT.COM. I immediately thought, "oh great, another Stop 2499 or Windsor nut, who doesnt realize how much this would benefit the community." However as I continued to drive during what is considered "rush hour," I then questioned the reasons behind wanting to expand the road. Traffic really wasnt that bad. I think half of the traffic, me included, only used the road to bypass the 2499 construction. Meaning, once thats finished, we wont have a need to drive there.

The speed limits 40mph, the right lane is much slower due to right turners, and with the road all windy, not only is the road much longer than it should be, but every SUV has to brake, driving 30mph because OMG, they'll flip! On top of that theres school zones, so during certain times of the day, why even bother driving it, if you can avoid it?

So pretty much this road is there for its residents, so once 2499, and even 407 is fixed, what little traffic they had will greatly decrease. Even with the rush hour traffic, there really is no issue. Everyone is capable of making it through the lights, and other than your occasional sports biker, speeding doesnt seem an issue.

However I know that with 6 lanes, speeding will be an issue, because as Ive noticed with 3040 and other expanded roads, more space means more speed, even if the speed limit lowers. I also wouldnt like seeing them cut down many of those trees which live in the current medians. Plus with smaller medians, means that residents during rush hour will have a difficult time turning left out of their neighborhood, because they wont have an area in the middle to sit at, meaning they will have to wait even longer for more lanes to be free. I dont see how, with the Riverwalk property fully completed, traffic would be so bad. Remember that most of that traffic will most likely use the newly expanded 2499.

Pretty much the ONLY thing that should be done is extending the left turn lane for the westbound 1171 turners. All it takes is 3 SUVs (which everyone in this town seems to have) and that lane gets blocked up. Due to the way they have the lights, this means everyone turning left loses their arrow (which is needed during rush hour) and have to wait through another light cycle. The westbound 3040 left also suffers this fate during rush hour, but their lane is already pretty long as it is, so I doubt anything will be done for them.

So pretty much, there is no need for the expansion of Morriss/Gerault, therefore I FINALLY side with these homeowners.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2009 at 12:08pm by UmmYeahOk »  
IP Logged

Richter
Administrator

I put the sting in interesting.

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Morriss/Gerault into 6 lanes?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:06pm

I'm not really against it, but it would be nice to not have EVERY FREAKING NORTH/SOUTH ROAD in FLOWER MOUND blocked at the SAME TIME!

The Administrator
IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Morriss/Gerault into 6 lanes?
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 2:46pm

Quote:
The Flower Mound Messenger
http://www.flowermoundmessenger.com/home/story/3548.html
Wednesday, Jun. 03, 2009
Morriss/Gerault Road Expansion OK’d
By Adrian McCandless
Staff Writer

An overflow crowd of more than 100 residents came to voice their concerns over the proposed expansion of Morriss/Gerault Road at the Flower Mound Transportation Commission meeting on May 26.

Only 10 residents remained through the entire six and a half hour meeting to hear the commissioners 5-1 vote at 1 a.m. recommending the town council approve the Morriss/Gerault improvement project, along with 11 amendments.

Commissioner Steve Lyda voted against the motion.

Commissioner Ted Beaman said it was a tough decision to make, but warranted because it will help relieve future congestion issues Flower Mound will face.

"I think five years from now, 10 years from now, if this project isn’t done — people in town will look back at this point and time and say that we were irresponsible for not looking forward and seeing there was going to be a problem," Beaman said.

During the question and comment portion of the meeting, numerous residents voiced safety concerns about included having a six-lane road in front of Forestwood Middle School and Marcus High School.Commissioner Jim Robertson said he understood residents’ concerns over safety and suggested possibly having a pedestrian barrier installed in the median citing Coppell High School as a school having a similar structure.

Flower Mound resident Patricia Feager raised concerns about a possible traffic detour in front of Timber Creek Elementary School.

"Let’s not implement first and then re-evaluate," she said. "The people in the Timber Creek [residential] area are very concerned about detouring without a plan in place. Let’s not compromise the safety of the people and children."

During the meeting, three people spoke in favor of the expansion.

"I live in Forestwood Estates," Sylvia Inboden said. "A lot of these people are my neighbors. I understand how they feel, but in saying that I also understand that we are a town of 65,000 to 67,000. Would I like to see Morriss Road stay the same? Probably. [But] the traffic is going to come whether we like it or not and it is very dangerous to have a lot of traffic moving into a small area, so I think we are probably safer by widening the road."

Commissioners responded to safety concerns by adding 11 amendments to the recommendation.

Amendments include that the project: be designed and constructed in one phase, with a recommendation that the Town Council prioritize improvements to intersections and safety features; identify visibility issues and their solutions; explore improvements and enhancements to the below-grade crossing; establish the lowest lawful speed limit throughout the corridor; and consider ideas addressing safety issues near schools in the area.

If approved by the Town Council, Morriss/Gerault Road will be expanded from four to six lanes from Justin Road (FM 407) south to its intersection with Long Prairie Road (FM 2499).

The Town Council has scheduled a public hearing and the possibility of awarding a design contract at 6 p.m. on June 15.

Ok first, the whole 5-10 years from now part. I recall along time ago, when I lived in Coppell (1992) how insanely wide 2499 was. The area south of Spinks Rd was the 6 lane concrete road you see today. So at some point when the town had fewer than 20k people this road was made. (note: then 1171, as well as 3040, was 2 lanes of asphalt all the way to Lewisville) So for about a DECADE this road didnt see the traffic a 6 lane street should normally see. This was before the 121 bridge, before Grapevine Mills Mall. As a CHILD, I questioned why on earth was such a huge "highway" paved through the countryside when we were the only car on the road.

Over 30 years ago 2499 was designed to be 6 lanes of concrete going into Denton. Better access to Denton was much needed, but at the time 6 lanes was not. This was why the original 2 lane asphalt 2499 (3040 through 1171) was turned into a 4 laner with medians like Morriss, and North of 1171 was paved as a two laner asphalt. There was no need to make it a 6 lane road because Lantana, didnt exist and Highland Village, Argyle, Bartonville, Copper Canyon, and Corinth were very small.

There is no way they can predict that much traffic in the next 10 years. I doubt we are going to experience that kind of boom AGAIN. ALL of Morriss (with the exception of the Riverwalk Project) is built up. And as far as new homes go, Its almost impossible to find a lot thats less than an acre big. I really dont think the Riverwalk is going to create that much traffic... ...especially since 2499 will be 6 lanes by then. And with 2499 and 407 done, Im sure fewer people will use Morriss as an alternate route.

Besides by waiting 5-10 years most of those residents against it will probably have moved out by then.

Looking back at 2499 (north of 1171) and 3040 (pre 2006) This was scheduled and thought about how long ago? These roads were designed for a town of 20k. It wasnt till WAY AFTER when the town was 60k and neighboring towns grew did they attempt to fix it. What makes Morriss so special? I mean it was quite obvious that these 2 roads needed something done a DECADE before they were even started. As I recall, no one was against it. (Those who were did not have their homes built yet)

Second, What traffic? I drive this road at 5pm-5.30pm and theres really no traffic that would require the need for 6 lanes. Other than the 407 left turn lane, everyone who stops at a light gets to cross the intersection at the light. There is no back ups, or congestion. If you are talking about 7-8am and 3-4pm traffic... ...guess what, thats from school zones, and a bunch of morons who wont let their kid ride the bus or walk. This traffic is created by the residents. The very residents who dont want this expansion.

I dont foresee a huge increase in traffic over the next few years. Highland Village, that would use this road anyway, is built up. With 2499, neighboring towns with a growing population will use this route instead. With it connecting to Corinth, only THEN will 2499 see a slightly larger increase in traffic... ..Something Morriss doesnt have to worry about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print