Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clean Up Flower Mound (Read 5234 times)
GoJaguars

Clean Up Flower Mound
Mar 20th, 2009 at 3:01pm

I came across this old news article featured on WFAA.

http://www.wfaa.com/video/?nvid=326691
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa090129_lj_scen...

Quote:
Push to clean up picturesque Flower Mound road

03:08 PM CST on Thursday, January 29, 2009

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV

Even the name of the country road evokes images of a peaceful, pretty way.

It's called Scenic Drive.

It winds through Flower Mound heading south from Farm to Market 1171.

Nearby homeowners are fighting to put the scenic back in Scenic Drive.

Carmen Koger considers Scenic Drive a tranquil place to unwind after a rough day.

The mother of five says it's her favorite place to walk the dog or take a jog.

"It brings to me peace because there's not a lot of traffic on the road," she said.

Koger and her kids say Scenic Drive has tree-lined hills, sprawling pastures and true Texas treasures, like horses and longhorn.

But lately, all has not been well.

"I have to explain to my 6-year-old why grown adults are throwing beer cans out their car window and littering... It's a difficult thing for me to do," she said.

Beer cans in piles, cigarette butts line the road and then there's the discarded food.

"I had to step over it. My dog tried to eat it," said Kelsey Koger, a high school student.

"It's inconsiderate, because you could easily throw that away when you get home or at a gas station, if you were just driving through."

"Scenes like this are common along Scenic Drive with cans, bottles and trash bags. Part of the problem is that most of the rubbish is on private property."

The Kogers considered organizing a cleanup. But to pick up much of the rubbish, they would have to cross a barbed wire fence. They fear that could be trespassing and finding out who the landowners are is a difficult task.

"For some reason, it seems like it's getting worse," said Carmen Koger.

She's looking for options and blogging about her frustration, all while hoping their scenic place of refuge will be free of other people's refuse.

I live near here, and I dont know whos doing it. But its not just Senic Dr. You could blame kids, and claim theyre smoking and drinking safely away from their parents eye, tossing out the litter, since they cant bring it back with them, but what about non residential areas? A teenager isnt going to drive all the way to Lakeside Pkwy, stand in the median, and drink an entire 6 pack, leaving it there. They could do that behind a dumpster, where the evidence easily can be disposed of.

Is it then just garbage that fly out of the bed of peoples trucks? possibly. But Ive seen the way smokers behave. Almost all toss out their butts left and right, even when theres an ashtray 2 feet from them (whether it be in a car, or outside a building) Many think, oh its just one bit of trash, its not going to do anything, but if you multiply that behavior by the amount of people who do it, and then times it by how many times a day they do this, it adds up to a whole lot of trash fairly quickly.

People need to take pride in their town. Dont Mess With Texas!

IP Logged

MHSgal

Re: Clean Up Flower Mound
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Maybe the residents regardless of what age are so used to either having a maid clean up for them, or having their mommies and daddies take care of anything that they just think they dont have to. Let someone else worry about it. I saw a Billboard in Mississippi what had a picture of a state trooper, and the words "I aint your momma!"

I think people have forgotten that littering is a crime. Depending on the amount, you could be fined a maximum of $500-$4000, maybe even jail time!!! So just think "Is one gum wrapper, or cigarette butt worth $500?"

Where I live, theres a huge dumping problem. Theres litter everywhere from those who hang out, ride ATVs, paintball, etc... ...but the biggest is from builders. It seems that every week theres a new pile of brick/lumber/etc. Whats worse is many times they dump them right on the streets!!! This roads are not paved, so those with ATVs, bike riders, trucks, are stuck since the wooded area isnt clear enough for them to pass. If I ever catch them, Im reporting them to the police immediately!

IP Logged

MaraudersRULE

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 3:32pm

GoJaguars wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 3:01pm:
But Ive seen the way smokers behave. Almost all toss out their butts left and right, even when theres an ashtray 2 feet from them (whether it be in a car, or outside a building) Many think, oh its just one bit of trash, its not going to do anything, but if you multiply that behavior by the amount of people who do it, and then times it by how many times a day they do this, it adds up to a whole lot of trash fairly quickly.

Whats worse is thats how grass fires start. And in drought season thats very dangerous. A person could lose their house, belongings, pets, family members, everything! All while the cig tosser gets off scott free, clueless, and will continue their thoughtless behavior for more years to come.

Also, people dont realize that its not grass fires. Depending on what speed the vehicle is traveling, it could very easily enter another car. And dont say "its their fault for tailgating." I have watched a toss cig fly and bounce off several cars, even ones that weren't even in their lane. I own a convertible and I have already found cigarette burns on blankets I keep in my back seat. I dont smoke, and those who do, I dont allow to smoke in my car. Where did they come from? What if my interior caught fire! Whod replace that? Not to mention Id be driving, whod replace my car when I crash it out of panic? What about the other vehicles I ran off the road during the panic? What about their families? No one ever seems to think how every little thing can effect others in a huge way.

Quote:
People need to take pride in their town. Dont Mess With Texas!

Funny you should bring this up. in the 90s, on Wichita Trail (which connects to Scenic Rd, they filmed a Dont Mess With Texas ad. This was back when there were long prairies instead of neighborhoods.

Big offenders should be reported to the police, but if you just see a tosser (cig, small wrapper, etc.) you can report them here.
http://dontmesswithtexas.org/report-a-litterer.php
But make sure its not gum though, I dont consider it littering if gum (without a wrapper) is tossed onto grass or soil. It biodegrades fairly quickly, and wrapping it up and throwing it away in the trash just adds up to more non recyclable waste.

The Texas Department of Transportation spends $37 million a year in state tax dollars picking up roadside litter alone. Think about all the road improvements that money could have been used for. Think about how high your taxes already are. We could all live in a clean environment with lower taxes, and other issues paid for if people would just take responsibility and pick up after their own selves.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2009 at 4:44pm by UmmYeahOk »  

IP Logged

haleycart

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 1:22am

Interesting thread!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print