Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving friendly in Flower Mound (Read 3909 times)
lonestarbt

Driving friendly in Flower Mound
Jun 4th, 2009 at 6:06pm

I see this "friendly" driving every morning walking my dogs on Valley Ridge when I try to cross Morriss.  Not only do drivers stop their autos in the crosswalk so I have to walk in front of them almost into the intersection but they turn right on red when I'm in the crosswalk with my dogs.  Recently, a bus was turning right from Valley Ridge onto Morriss while I was still in the crosswalk with my dogs and he kept edging forward until I was able to cross.  It's not like I'm slowing ambling across the street.  

We have lived in Flower Mound for 1-1/2 years and it's just disappointing to watch the inconsiderate drivers "nascar" down Valley Ridge like it's their own personal speed racing format.  It's been really nice seeing the FMPD on patrol recently in the school zones.  It seems that some are still confused about the 20 mph speed limit.  I really love this city...there are amazing and wonderful people in our community and the police are on top of things as far as I can tell.  Please slow down folks and pay attention.  Watch for the pedestrians especially children.

IP Logged

UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Re: Driving friendly in Flower Mound
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:39am

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, that's why I made that thread about "Drive Friendly Flower Mound." It was a real town sponsored campaign in hopes that people realize just how important safety is while driving. Of course, this was before cell phones, navigation, built in DVD players, ipods, etc.

To explain their behavior: they just dont notice. There rarely are any pedestrians... ...and of those few, they very rarely use sidewalks and crosswalks. I dont think anyone in 75022 does (they have bike routes right next to the roads and dont even use them!!!) I remember on a 2-laned 40mph road, much like yours, watching a woman walk her dog, just like you do... ...IN THE STREET!! Sure, the leash was long enough that the dog was on the sidewalk but she was on the street blocking the flow of traffic... ...and I bet she was the same type of person who drives their vehicle in the manner you speak of: Completely obviously to the world around them, including other motorists. Children are typically the only ones that I see using sidewalks. I do see some adults, but its EXTREMELY rare. Its a sad shame though that their own parents dont do the same. Oh well, I guess to them a childless parent is worse than a parentless child  Huh

Not saying they shouldnt notice you... ...I mean part of being a good driver is keeping your eyes out of obstacles and road hazards. A human body can cause GREAT damage to a vehicle when struck at 40mph. I have seen pedestrians cross streets with their face covered by a book... ...clearly theyre not going to see me, so I need to see them.

The edging forward thing annoys me more than it probably does you... ..I make a lot of right turns. By not having drivers STOP behind the white line, I cant see over them. I have to edge all the way to where it may not even be safe, STAND, yes STAND (convertible) in my vehicle just to see over their hood (always a truck or SUV) And you know what? After all that, they still edge forward. This means that I either have to wait for the light to turn green, wait for them to leave (with no light may take forever, especially when the guy behind almost always duplicates this behavior) or pull into traffic blindly and pray that they stop. Oh, and this edging thing is stupid, those who park past the white line, AND roll forwards are ALWAYS the LAST to leave the light. Youd think theyd be first, but no.

As far as "nascar" goes, I remember when 2499 was 60mph and 1171 was 50. (at least 1171 had signs reading "speedway" and arrows pointing down it  Smiley) I have driven down Valley Ridge and Morriss for more than a decade. I know they are both 40mph with 20mph school zones during certain times of the day. I know many times I will go 5 over on these roads when the school zones arent on, but I am never passed (gerault, yes, morriss, no) Often times, I am going with the flow of traffic, which means people typically drive 0-5 over the speed limit. Then again, I went to Marcus. I know the kids would do 80+ on 2499, so for all I know, when school lets out, they race down Valley. I drive on Morris after work even though I live off 2499 because 2499 is so stressful. When 3040 was under construction (it was a 2 lane asphalt road a few years ago) I would use Valley because 3040 was so stressful. I really dont notice a speeding issue anywhere but these roads (2499 & 3040)

IP Logged

haleycart

Re: Driving friendly in Flower Mound
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 1:21am

Yes it is! The area is really driving friendly!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print