The Mound

Marker # 1926

Location: On Flower Mound Road (FM 3040) just east of intersection with Long Prairie Road (FM 2499)

Marker Erected: 1984

Marker Text:

Settlers of the Peters Colony named this smooth, dome-shaped hill for the abundant wild flowers that grow on it. Rising fifty feet above the surrounding prairie, Flower Mound, long has been a point of interest in the area. According to local legends, no structure was ever constructed on top of the mound, nor has any tree grown here. Before W. S. Peters began bringing settlers to the land issued him by the Republic of Texas Congress, Wichita Indians inhabited the area. During the 1840s, Peters colonists began moving to the prairie in search of good farmland. In 1844, John R. Wizwell was granted 640 acres of land that included the mound. His widow, Edy, later remarried and sold this land to George L. Beavers. Flower Mound remained in the Beavers family well into the twentieth century. Although the hill has remained in private ownership, it historically has been identified with the community that grew up around it. Flower Mound Presbyterian Church was the first to officially use the name in 1854. Once a sprawling agricultural community, Flower Mound has begun to expand with the urban growth of nearby Dallas and Fort Worth, leaving this formation as a historic reminder of its pioneer days. (1984)

Flower Mound Presbyterian Church

Marker # 1927

Location: 1501 Flower Mound Road (FM 3040)

Marker Erected: 1967

Marker Text:

First Presbyterian Church in county. Organized 1854 by the Rev. Matthew B. Donald, who is buried in church cemetery. Worship was in homes before a log church was built, 1857-58. A frame building erected later; present one built 1901. (1967)

McCombs Cemetery

Marker # 11846

Location: Near the intersection of Wager Rd., Bellaire Blvd., and Garden Ridge Rd.

Marker Erected: 1997

Marker Text:

The history of this small community cemetery dates to the 1850s, before Denton was selected as county seat. The site contains graves of early pioneers of the Lewisville-Flower Mound area. Settlers included Nehemiah Wade Boyd (1823-1856), his wife Susan McCombs Boyd (1824-1917), their six children, family matriarch Mary Nowlin McCombs (1803-1867), and members of Nowlin, Sigler and Rivers families who arrived in 1855 from Tennessee. Nehemiah Boyd died suddenly of pneumonia after being chilled by a blue northern while building a log cabin for his family, and was buried on land donated by his brother-in-law, John Mathis McCombs. Susan Boyd later gave birth to their seventh child and first Texan, George Taylor Boyd (1856-1933). Although Nehemiah Boyd's burial was long believed to be the first, archeological evidence suggests as many as 100 individuals may have been buried here and that the site was a community cemetery in use between the 1850s and 1890s. Typically graves were marked with native sandstone or brick. Boyd descendants formed the McCombs Cemetery Association in 1990 to protect the burial site from encroaching development. (1997)

Bethel Community

Marker # 389

Location: 2100 Kirkpatrick Lane, just E of its intersection with Morris Road

Marker Erected: 1990

Marker Text:

Settlement of this area began in the 1850s. Among the pioneer families were those of Samuel K. Smith, Anderson Nowlin, William Crawford, and Sam Lusk. As family farms were established, a loosely organized rural community was formed. By the 1870s more people had moved to the area, including the F. M. Frie family. The Frie and Nowlin families both set aside land for school and church purposes. A one-room schoolhouse built on the Nowlin land about 1871 became known as Frie School. It also served as a Union church and community center. A church building was erected on Frie land in 1882. After Bethel Presbyterian Church was organized in 1883, the school and community took the Bethel name At its height in the early 20th century, Bethel community included about one hundred families. After it was bypassed by the railroad in 1875, Bethel began to decline in favor of Lewisville. The Bethel School consolidated with the Lewisville School system in 1940, and the area once encompassed by farms of the Bethel Community eventually became parts of several towns, including Flower Mound, Lewisville, Highland Village, and Copper Canyon. (1990)
Source: Denton County Historical Markers

Flower Mound Forum Red Mustangs