Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electioneering in Flower Mound (Read 2436 times)
UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Electioneering in Flower Mound
May 14th, 2010 at 9:32pm

Quote:
§ 85.036. ELECTIONEERING PROHIBITED.  (a) During the time
an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early
voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate,
measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door
through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which
the early voting polling place is located
     (b)  Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 639, § 2                        
     (c)  During the early voting period, the early voting clerk
shall keep continuously posted:
           (1)  at the entrance to the room or area, as applicable,
in which the early voting polling place is located, a sign on which
is printed in large letters "Early Voting Polling Place";  and
           (2)  at the outer limits of the area within which
electioneering is prohibited, a sign on which is printed in large
letters "Distance Marker.  No electioneering between this point and
the entrance to the early voting polling place."
     (d)  A person commits an offense if the person electioneers
in violation of Subsection (a).
     (e)  An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.                  
     (f)  Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 639, § 2                        

Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 211, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1986.  Amended by
Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 203, § 1.09;  Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch.
554, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1991;  Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 498, §
1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993;  Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 639, § 1, 2,
eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Quote:
§ 61.003. ELECTIONEERING AND LOITERING NEAR POLLING PLACE
PROHIBITED.  (a) A person commits an offense if, during the voting
period and within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter
may enter the building in which a polling place is located, the
person:
           (1)  loiters;  or                                                            
           (2)  electioneers for or against any candidate,
measure, or political party.
     (b)  In this section, "voting period" means the period
beginning when the polls open for voting and ending when the polls
close or the last voter has voted, whichever is later.
     (c)  An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.                  

Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 211, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1986.  

It seems that our new town officials were elected through illegal means.  I decided to vote the very first day of early voting. I noticed how most of them stayed within a certain area (this was both groups) but a couple of the NFL group were what I considered "way too close." They were polite and all, so I just assumed the rule was 50 ft. I still felt uncomfortable about it though getting back into my car, especially since the Smith group wasn't that close which is why I did the research. I would of taken pictures and reported them (or even just given them a friendly reminder) but again, I wasnt sure about what was in the books.

I had to park in the third parking space from the door because one of the NFL people was standing in the second. There's was also a decorated NFL SUV, and a few other NFL people who were standing close but I did my measurements against that one fellow since he was the closest. If you will find a satellite map of the court, you'll find that the 2 parking space is way too close, maybe not if the rule was 50 but definitely not 100. Without a ruler and a compass, I can't tell exactly how close he and the others were.

Since I felt uncomfortable about it, and didn't want someone winning an election illegally, I called the court. She explained that they did mark off the area by I explained how I didn't notice (mostly because I was more concerned about running over all the political boosters). She wasn't sure either what the law was but agreed that she also felt that they were too close, as she also mentioned her own parking issue since she couldn't park closer since they were there. Her supervisor was out to lunch, so she told me she'd let her/him look into it when they returned.

I asked my husband about it since he voted earlier that day. He remembered them being close, but again, its not like we run around town with tape measures in our pockets. And even if we did, again, we ourselves, werent sure what the rule was, and its not like we wanted to argue with a large extremist group over it. He did tell me that they conveniently gave him an NFL card which told him who not to vote for.

On election day, my mother waited an hour to vote. My brother gave up and left. My mom mentioned that she witnessed the NFL group shuttling people in with a decorated golf cart and dropping them off right at the DOOR!!! That is in fact VERY illegal. You can shuttle people in, yes, but not that close, or if its truly necessary, not advertising their political parties. If there's anything worse than having the other side win, its having them win ILLEGALLY!!! Man if I had known about all the illegal tactics I would of just wasted my whole Saturday reporting each violation one by one. Heck, I would of even got the press involved. Unfortunately I could not do this during early election because unlike all the political violators, I had to work. I was only lucky enough to vote on my lunch break.

I read a blog comment from the shilohareadrilling.com site that the NFL group were also polling people who were standing in line asking them who they were voting for. This individual claims to have photographic evidence. I will link here when they post them.

IP Logged

haleycart

Re: Electioneering in Flower Mound
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 1:18am

why through illegal means?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print