Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inside look at illegal drug use in school (Read 2610 times)
UmmYeahOk
Administrator

Flower Mound, Texas
Inside look at illegal drug use in school
Jul 17th, 2011 at 2:48am

http://www.thenewsconnection.com/article/Highland_Village_TNC/News/Inside_look_a...

Quote:
Inside look at illegal drug use in school

For one Marcus senior, (name withheld for reasons of privacy), referred to as Logan White in this story, being stoned at school is a frequent occurrence.

“The typical morning would be like, wake up, take a shower,” White said. “My mom would leave. My dad never went upstairs, so I’d smoke (marijuana) out the window.”

The high would last through first and second period. He calls the activity “wake-and-bake.”
“It felt like a good way to start the morning because you are just so chill,” White said. He has yet to be caught by a teacher. “Keep a straight face, that’s all you have to do.”

Earlier this year, the Lewisville Independent School District’s $22 million budget shortfall due to looming state education cuts impacted several programs. The STARR drug counseling program has seen a reduction in staff, and the program is in danger of being cut completely. However, high school counselors will continue to work with students needing these specific services. Its elimination could mean that schools like Marcus will have to turn to other methods of slowing a growing drug problem.

Marcus Principal Gary Shafferman said that the STARR program is beneficial to students afflicted with drug problems and to their parents. If nothing else, hopefully it lets the parents know there is a potential problem with their child. Some parents may be in denial and in this case the program helps bring drug issues out in the open.

Last year, the district decided to halt random student drug testing. Critics of this program said that it did not target the right students and was ineffective.

Shafferman said, “There were no drug busts as a result of random drug testing to my knowledge and not many busts period. That’s not to say that campus drug use has been curbed either,” he said. “I would be naïve to think that it is not going on because it is.”
For the Marcus senior identified as White, his first entrée into drug use started the winter break of his sophomore year where he tried marijuana at a friend’s house. Since then he has continued to use it often, and has tried ecstasy a few times.

“I kind of liked it, because basically what it does is it has a serotonin rush on your body,” White said. “It’s this complete rush, happy, dancing, lights, the works.”

White’s use of marijuana, like everyone else’s he said, depends on cash flow. One gram costs roughly $20, and can last an average user around a week. It’s bought through “friends of friends of friends,” according to White, kids from all schools across the Metroplex.
“It’s a web. It’s this whole chain of people,” White said. “Usually people you meet nonchalantly.”

And at Marcus, White said, drugs like marijuana are “extremely” commonplace and users come in “all shapes and sizes”. White is in AP classes, and makes good grades.

“Not so much in AP classes, but in regular classes, it happens a lot,” White said. “In every class, there are at least one or two kids that know each other through drugs. It’s just the thing to do.”

Senior Molly Spain admits drug use is widespread. Many of her friends smoke marijuana, while she has managed to avoid it.

“It’s not really my style,” Spain said. “I don’t think I need drugs or any enhancements to feel alive. But everybody thinks differently. Maybe they tried it once and they liked it so much they feel like they need it to have fun.”

She sometimes hangs out with her friends while they are high. She said she usually can’t tell the difference, except that they are quieter and nicer.

“I know smoking pot is not that bad for you,” Spain said. “If it really harmed them, I would have a problem with it, but just as long as I’m not around it and they do it off on their own, then I’m okay with it. I’m really in no position to tell them they can’t do it.”

Shafferman said, “I am pleased our school newspaper has brought attention to this issue. This is a very difficult task, requiring students, parents, faculty and the district as a whole, working together. We will continue to work with the police department as well as educating parents. Next year, the district will begin using drug dogs to perform unannounced and random searches and incorporate a “tip-line” for students to share information anonymously.”
Editors Note: This story was written by Jasmine Sachar, a senior next year at Marcus High School and the Editor-in-chief of the Marcus paper, The Marquee.

IP Logged

haleycart

Re: Inside look at illegal drug use in school
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 1:08am

Thank you for sharing it here Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print